Why Membership Matters
Does it really matter if I’m a member or not? Why do I have to take a class to even become a member? Why do I have to sign anything? People often ask these questions about our membership process, skeptical as to why there seem to be so many “hoops” to jump through.
We see membership as the progression from visiting "that" church, to attending "this" church, to belonging to "my" church. A member is one who belongs.
Here at Mill Creek Community Church, we take membership seriously. Commiting yourself to a body of believers of both weighty and wonderful. When Covenant Members join, they commit to a spiritual family that provides encouragement and support. They are called to a biblical degree of responsibility, service and sacrifice to their brothers and sisters. Our elders and leaders also pledge to assist our Covenant Members with care, counsel, prayer and teaching.
Covenant Membership Process
As you think about making a decision to join the church, we offer a class that covers what it means to be a Covenant Member, as well as our mission, basic beliefs and theological distinctives. We want you to know exactly what it means to join and what is required when you do before asking you to make a decision.
There are three steps to becoming a Covenant Member:
- Attend a Discovery Class - For those considering membership, this 3-week class is the first step of our membership process, and is offered several times a year. Here we will look at the history, beliefs, mission, and ministries of Mill Creek, and give those newer to the church an opportunity to get to know staff, elders, and other newer guests.
- Our next Discovery Class will be in September, 2018. To pre-register for this class, please click HERE.
- Membership Class - For those considering membership, we offer a 75 minute "Membership Class" throughout the year where we'll look at "why" and "how to" become a member here, as well as talk through our Membership Covenant.
- Our next Membership Class will be May 20th at 8:45am. To register for this class, please click HERE.
- Paperwork - We'd ask that you then fill out an application and write out a one-page "faith story".
- To fill out an online membership application, please click HERE.
- To print out a copy of entire Membership Packet, please click HERE.
- Baptism - If you have not been baptized following salvation, we ask you to take this step before becoming a Covenant Member. Baptism is intended only for those who have professed faith in Jesus Christ and can give sufficient testimony to the basics of Christian beliefs. We baptize by immersion because it is not only the original significance of the word but also best symbolizes the reality to which baptism points—our death and resurrection in Christ.
- If you have questions about baptism, or would like to begin this process, please click HERE to fill out an online application.
3. Know & Be Known
- Membership Mentors - The purpose of providing a Membership Mentor at this point is to allow you an opportunity to get to know others at Mill Creek. One of the benefits of meting with a Membership Mentor is to work through some of the questions you’ll be asked in the upcoming Elder Interview. We are glad to assist you in finding a membership mentor!
- Elder Interview - The final step in becoming a member is to meet a few of our elders, who will listen to your testimony, talk through the Membership Covenant, get to know you better, and answer any questions you might have. Once you fulfill the requirements of membership and sign the covenant, it is our joy to introduce you to the congregation as a Covenant Member!
For questions about any part of the membership process, contact our Connection Pastor, David Robinson, 913.441.4444 x.107